Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fort William, The Parade, Duncansburgh Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Fort William, The Parade, Duncansburgh Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Duncansburgh Parish Church Of Scotland; Boys Brigade War Memorial; War Memorial Window

Canmore ID 106422

Site Number NN17SW 30

NGR NN 10473 74031

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmallie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

The Parade Duncansburgh Parish Church, Ross & Mackintosh, 1881 A much-needed presence on the former parade ground at the east end of the High Street (the nearest Fort William gets to a civic square), with buttressed tower and wide gable with large traceried window. Stained glass of 1880s, 1949 (Abbey Studio) and 1960s and 1970s (A. C. Whalen). Mullioned manse to west by G. MacRitchie, 1936. On the green, a bronze Statue by W. Birnie Rhind, 1909, depicting Donald Cameron of Lochiel, 24 th Chief (1835-1905), posing ruggedly in his kilt atop a lump of granite.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press


Photographic Survey (June 1964)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in June 1964.

Watching Brief (19 February 2013)

NN 10459 74053 A watching brief was carried out on 19 February 2013 on the site of a proposed extension to a church hall. No finds or features of archaeological significance were recorded.

Archive: RoCAS. Report Highland HER and OASIS

Funder: Duncansburgh MacIntosh Church

Lynn Fraser, Ross and Cromarty Archaeological Services, 2013

(Source: DES)

Watching Brief (19 February 2013 - 19 February 2013)

A watching brief was carried out on behalf of Duncansburgh MacIntosh Church on1 9th February 2013 on the site of a proposed extension to the existing church hall at The Parade, Fort William. There were no archaeological features or finds identified.

Information from Lynn Fraser (Ross and Cromarty Archaeological Services) February 2013

OASIS ID: rosscrom1-144991

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions