Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Duirinish, Neist Point Lighthouse

Lighthouse (20th Century)

Site Name Skye, Duirinish, Neist Point Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Little Minch; Moonen Bay; Neist Head; Neist Lighthouse

Canmore ID 10599

Site Number NG14NW 5

NGR NG 12665 47132

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10599

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duirinish
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Neist Point Lighthouse, D. Alan Stevenson, 1909, a three-storey tower rising beneath the cliff-girt plateaux of Waterstein. Skye's westernmost beacon is larger than its Victorian predecessors, but the brightly margined keepers' cottages (now holiday lets) are noticeably less stylish.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG14NW 5.00 NG 12665 47132

NG14NW 5.01 NG 12677 47110 Keepers' Cottages

NG14NW 5.02 NG 131 474 to NG 132 478 Telpher Line

NG14NW 5.03 NG 1296 4708 Jetty; Cranes

Neist Point Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10560 map, 1968.

(Location cited as NG 127 472). Neist Point Lighthouse: built 1909, engineer D Alan Stevenson. A short circular-section tower rising from a single-storey block of ancillary buildings. There is a flat-roofed range of keepers' houses. All the buildings have prominent quoins.

The lighthouse is served by a small concrete pier, with two derrick cranes, one for light and one for heavy (up to 3 tons) goods. There is also a telpher line linking the peninsula with the public road.

J R Hume 1977.

This rock or island lighthouse occupies a high promontory situation on the westernmost point of Skye, and at the base of the Duirinish peninsula. It was built in 1909 by David A Stevenson in 1909, and automated in 1990 to serve as the control station for the Usenish lighthouse (NF83NE 7) on South Uist. It is currently in residential use.

The lantern, optics and winding gear formerly used in this lighthouse have been installed in the Scottish Lighthouse Museum, Fraserburgh (Kinnaird Head Lighthouse: NJ96NE 7).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 August 2008.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; K Allardyce 1998; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Construction (1909)

Light established in 1909.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1990)

Automated in 1990.

K Allardyce 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions