Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Braemore House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Braemore House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Braemore And Inverbroom Estate

Canmore ID 105386

Site Number NH17NE 7

NGR NH 19969 79273

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/105386

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochbroom
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH17NE 7.00 19969 79273

NH17NE 7.01 NH 19479 79413 Stables (Braemore Square)

NH17NE 7.02 NH 19550 79311 Generator House

See also:

NH17NE 8 NH 18614 77743 Estate Footbridge (Abhainn Cuileag)

NH27NW 4 NH 203 784 Tunnel and culvert

NH27NW 10 NH 20179 79180 Icehouse

NH27NW 11 NH 20879 77697 Lodge

NH27NW 12 NH c. 2087 7769 to NH c. 1997 7927 Track

NH27NW 13 NH 200 793 Stable

NH27NW 14.00 NH 20555 79193 Home Loch (Reservoir and dams)

NH27NW 14.01 NH 20482 79169 Boathouse

NH28SE 1 NH 25933 81181 Beinn Dearg, cairn (nil antiquity)

NH28SE 2 NH c. 260 812 Beinn Dearg, wall (unemployment relief project).

House: located at NH 1997 7927, now demolished.

Information from Prof R Paxton, 28 March 2006.

Activities

Build (1867)

In a letter of 15 July 1867, [Sir John] Fowler refers to the bulk of the stonework of Braemore House as being gneiss obtained from a quarry about 1/4 mile away. The stone was of a blue colour and ‘wonderfully durable’.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission

Publication Account (2007)

Braemore and Inverbroom Estate

Structures, Wester Ross

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 1556)

Sir John Fowler, whose major works included London’s Metropolitan Railway and the Forth Bridge, purchased in 1865 and 1867, respectively, estates totalling 40 000 acres at Braemore and Inverbroom, near Ullapool, which he enjoyed for over three decades, his last visit being in October 1897. During this period he applied his engineering skills to developing the estate for the enjoyment of his family and distinguished guests. His improvements, apart from planting nine million trees and maximising agricultural development, included building Braemore House on a mountainside 700 ft above sea level. In a letter of 15 July 1867, Fowler refers to the bulk of the stonework of Braemore House as being gneiss obtained from a quarry about 1/4 mile away. The stone was of a blue colour and ‘wonderfully durable’. For the corners of the buildings and openings, durable sandstone was obtained from Glasgow by sea and carted 6 miles from the head of Loch Broom.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions