Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen Harbour, Victoria Dock

Dock (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen Harbour, Victoria Dock

Classification Dock (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 104118

Site Number NJ90NW 291.06

NGR NJ 94900 06050

NGR Description Centred NJ 94900 06050

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/104118

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 291.06 centred 9490 0605

For Regent Quay (9460 0611 to 9479 0612) and Regent Quay, Regent Shed (9459 0615 to 9476 0617), see NJ90NW 291.07 and NJ90NW 291.08 respectively. For Ferry Terminal (9452 0602), Waterloo Quay (9480 0615 to 9515 0600) and Balikie's Quay (9462 0604 to 9531 0582), see NJ90NW 291.09, NJ90NW 291.10, NJ90NW 291.11 respectively. For Regent Bridge (9458 0610 to 9458 0602), see NJ90NW 291.13. For Waterloo Quay, Victoria Dock Entrance, Signal Tower (NJ 9520 0591), see NJ90NE 7.18.

(Location cited as NJ 944 060 to 952 099). Built 1840-8.

NMRS, MS/712/83.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

In 1810 Telford proposed a scheme for a large dock adjoining the north shore and what was to become Waterloo Quay to be created by impounding water in the harbour at high tide by means of an entrance lock. Between 1816 and 1829 very little was done except dredging. The 1831 version of this proposal formed the basis for the Victoria Dock project later developed by James Abernethy.

In 1843, after receiving reports from James Walker and Alexander Gibb, the Harbour Commissioners executed the plans of Abernethy, their resident engineer, and the 28-acre Victoria Dock, and an upper dock west of Regent opening bridge, was built by 1848 with two entrances 60 ft and 70 ft wide and about 20 ft deep, one with a lock for the passage of ships and the other with ebb-gates.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions