Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen Harbour, Abercromby Jetty, Port Entrance Control Tower

Control Tower (20th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen Harbour, Abercromby Jetty, Port Entrance Control Tower

Classification Control Tower (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Aberdeen Harbour Entrance, Roundhouse; Navigation Control Centre; Footdee; Fitty; 'the Octagon'

Canmore ID 104104

Site Number NJ90NE 7.15

NGR NJ 95871 05712

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/104104

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NE 7.15 95871 05712

Observatory [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1972.

Location formerly entered as NJ 9587 0571.

Not to be confused with Waterloo Quay, Victoria Dock Entrance, Signal Tower (NJ 9520 0591), for which see NJ90NE 7.18.

For (successor) Marine Operations Centre (built 2006, at NJ c. 9608 0587), see NJ90NE 7.29.

Known as the Navigation Control Centre, this structure is actually an octagon; it was apparently built as early as 1797-8. It was certainly in existence by 1703, when it is depicted on a plan of Footdee. Until 1966, harbour traffic was controlled by signals using three black balls mounted on a mast.

An abstract sculpture (known as the 'egg on a plate' stands adjacent. This was presented by Mobil North Sea Ltd in 1986.

Aberdeen City Council [2006].

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions