Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Nelson Monument

Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Nelson Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow Green, Nelson Monument, Including Railings

Canmore ID 103495

Site Number NS56SE 159

NGR NS 59824 64303

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/103495

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Nelson Monument.

ARCHITECT: David Hamilton.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

The Mitchell Library, Glasgow - William Graham 1 p.3 - Bowling Green.

'Glasgow in Former Times 11' - Pen and wash (2).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Designed by David Hamilton in 1806 this 144' high obelisk was built to commemorate Nelson's victory at Trafalgar in 1805, paid for by public subscription at a cost of some £2000. It has been said to be the first in Great Britain to commemorate Trafalgar but the Nelson Monument at Taynuilt in Ardchattan and Muckairn Parish, a reused standing stone, is believed to have been erected and inscribed by local workmen as soon as they heard news of Trafalgar in 1805. Nelson's Tower on Cluny Hill in Forres, designed by Charles Stewart, dates from 1806. Nelson's Monument on Calton Hill, Edinburgh, designed by Robert Burns, dates from 1807.

This site was recorded for the Listed Buildings Recording Programme (LBRP) in 2001-02.

Information from RCAHMS (NMC), 2003 .

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions