Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Vicarsford Cemetery, Lady Leng Memorial Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Vicarsford Cemetery, Lady Leng Memorial Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Mausoleum

Canmore ID 100942

Site Number NO42NW 87

NGR NO 43870 25719

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/100942

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Leuchars
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NO42NW 87 43870 25719

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Major Thomas Cappon, 1897-9.

Activities

Photographic Survey

NO 4386 2572 This building was constructed as a memorial chapel for the Leng family in 1895-7. It was designed by the architect Thomas Martin Cappon and bears a striking resemblance to La Saint Chappelle in Paris, although on a diminutive scale. The chapel is sited on a hill to the centre of Vicarsford Cemetery

and can be seen from a great distance.

This is an apsidal chapel heavily influenced by French Gothic design. The body of the structure is of coursed sandstone with dabbed tool marks, imported from Caen in France. There is ashlar detailing around the quoins, doors and windows. The oxidized copper roof is pitched with an apsidal E end. It is topped by an octagonal Gothic spire which is pierced by pointed arches and decorated with foliage and gargoyles. The structure itself is held by a procession of heavy buttresses between the windows.

East Elevation The apsidal east end of the church is held by buttresses which separate three arched windows. These have three recessed orders and the lights themselves are glazed with stained glass and have cusped tracery. The E, N and S elevations are topped by a corbel course which runs between the buttresses and below a series of gargoyles.

North Elevation The N face is held by five buttresses which separate four windows set in pointed arches and a N porch, which is described separately. The window arches and tracery are the same as those in the N face. Each buttress is crowned by a gargoyle and has a pair of carved heads on its decorative stone gable.

South Elevation The S elevation is dominated by an elaborate porch and walkway. Grass is growing on one of the gargoyles above the corbel table.

West Elevation The W elevation has a large stained glass window set in a pointed arch with three orders and foliate caps. Angle buttresses hold the face on either side of the window. The face is divided by string courses, the uppermost stage of which sits beneath three arched openings. A round headed stone cross tops the gable.

Archive: www.scottishchurchheritage.org.uk

Funder: Heritage Lottery Fund Your Heritage, LEADER+,

Church of Scotland, Project Scotland, Historic Scotland.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions