Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

North Uist, Vallay, Vallay House

Country House (20th Century)

Site Name North Uist, Vallay, Vallay House

Classification Country House (20th Century)

Canmore ID 10047

Site Number NF77NE 28

NGR NF 77360 75908

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish North Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Vallay House, c.1902 Lichened wreck of the crowstepped Edwardian mansion built on a windswept terrace for the island's then owner, the author and archaeologist/naturalist Erskine Beveridge. The cement-harled brick building was equipped with all the fashionable mod cons of its day, and had water piped over from a reservoir on North Uist. Beveridge's son was drowned crossing the strand in 1944 , and it was not long before the house was abandoned for good. The older buildings of Vallay, lime-mortared and gilded with lichen, vary in date and are mostly roofless now. Among these:

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Site Management (14 May 1990)

Baronial style mansion with a cement rendered exterior on a terrace, built for the naturalist/ archaeologist Erskine Beveridge. (Miers) Erskine Beveridge inherited and expanded a successful linen works in Dunfermline and was a keen amateur photographer, a number of which were taken in the Hebrides and the Highlands of Scotland. Vallay is a tidal islean with no fresh water supply, Beveridge had water piped across the strand. Following the construction of the house, Beveridge spent may summers on the island before his death in 1920, leaving the property to his son, who moved to nearby North Uist until his death in 1944. (West Highland Free Press)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions