Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, East Port, Ship Inn

Inn (18th Century)

Site Name Melrose, East Port, Ship Inn

Classification Inn (18th Century)

Canmore ID 100241

Site Number NT53SW 121

NGR NT 54801 33952

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/100241

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Architecture Notes

NT53SW 121 54801 33952

Activities

Photographic Survey (June 1957)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in June 1957.

Publication Account (1998)

The Ship Inn at East Port figure 23.Q & 24, although much altered in both the nineteenth and twentieth centuries retains some of its original late eighteenth-century character. Built as two dwellings, they were converted into an inn in the mid nineteenth century. The skew putts on the east and west flank walls and the massive rectangular chimneys at the wall head are indications of the original wall-head gable that was removed in the mid nineteenth century.

Information from ‘Historic Melrose: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions