Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, Cloisters Road, The Cloisters

Manse (19th Century)

Site Name Melrose, Cloisters Road, The Cloisters

Classification Manse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cloister House

Canmore ID 100235

Site Number NT53SW 119

NGR NT 54914 34202

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/100235

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

The manse, called The Cloisters figure 20.Y, was built in 1815 to a design of John Smith of Darnick. A two-storeyed dwelling house with three bays, it has a piended slated roof The centre door has a corniced architrave and fanlight. Abbry Park figure 22.1, constructed c1820, now St Mary's Preparatory School, is a two-storeyed, three bay classical villa with a Tuscan pilastered doorpiece. It is built of coursed squared rubble with polished ashlar dressings and has a piended slated roof Its classical stable block of a similar date is yet another remnant of the times of horse drawn transport.

Information from ‘Historic Melrose: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions