Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thurso, Princes Street, St Peter's Parish Church And Church Rooms

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Thurso, Princes Street, St Peter's Parish Church And Church Rooms

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) East Church Street; West Church Street; Church Of Scotland; St Andrew's And St Peter's Church; Sir John Square

Canmore ID 100140

Site Number ND16NW 153

NGR ND 11558 68348

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/100140

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Summary Record

The church was recorded by the Threatened Building Survey in October 2011 prior to proposed alterations.

The prominent site was intended for the town house in the town plan of 1798 but the church designed by William Burn was built here in 1830-2. It is a simplified version of his St John's Episcopal Church, Princes Street, Edinburgh of 1815-18.

STG 2014

Architecture Notes

William Burn, Architect, 1829-1831

Activities

Photographic Record (October 1961)

Photographic survey of buildings in Thurso, Caithness by the Scottish National Buildings Record in October 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions