Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

External Reference

Date June 1997

Event ID 998524

Category Documentary Reference

Type External Reference


The Palace of Spynie (including the chapel and Davie's Tower) are situated on a small spur below a low knoll. The chapel and tower are the earliest traceable parts, dating from the end of the 14th cent. The tower was built in 1461-76 by Bishop David Stewart, altered 1535-73 and fell into decay in 1690.

The chief feature of the palace is the keep which measures about 21m in side and 15m high, and forms the SW defence of the large irregular courtyard; this is enclosed by enceinte walls (measuring 1.8m in thickness and 8m in height, but now largely destroyed) with smaller towers at the other three corners; that to the NE is almost completely demolished and its foundations buried in a mass of rubble. Against the N, E and W walls were buildings (now entirely destroyed) and on the S side was a chapel, correctly orientated and distinguished by its pointed windows. The main (E) gate was defended by a portcullis. There is a slight ditch on the W side of the Palace but it may be due to recent clearance at the base of David's Tower. There are also what seem to be ditch remains outside the E curtain wall and to the E of the gateway.

(Available CUCAP and GRC/AAS air and ground photographic imagery listed).

Information from Aberdeenshire Archaeological Service, June 1997.

NMRS, MS/712/19.

Air photographs: AAS/94/14/G27/8-9.

NMRS, MS/712/21.

People and Organisations