Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

External Reference

Date 8 November 2013

Event ID 966501

Category Documentary Reference

Type External Reference


Seven Men of Moidart

Commemorative cairn and information boards at approximately NM 70333 72866 on South side of the road.

The original seven trees ran East - West around NM 70404 72647.

According to the information board these original trees were damaged in a storm prior to 1988.

Seven replacement trees were planted in 1988 but did not flourish.

Seven more saplings were planted in 2002 at right angles to the original trees but it is not obvious which these are, there is a small group in the foreground which could be them though visibility from the lay-by is restricted because of growth at the roadside.



The original row of seven beech trees in the field adjacent to this memorial cairn, representing the seven followers who landed in July 1745 with Prince Charles Edward Stuart and which have become known as "The Seven Men of Moidart", were planted early in the nineteenth century it is thought by authority of the proprietors of the Kinlochmoidart Estate. The Seven Men of Moidart were William Murray, Marquis of Tullibardine, regarded by the Jacobites as the second Duke of Atholl, Sir Thomas Sheridan, an Irishman who had been the Prince's Preceptor. Sir John Macdonald or MacDonnell, an Irish cavalry officer in the French Army, Aeneas MacDonald, a Paris Banker and a younger brother of the Laird of Kinlochmoidart, John William O'Sullivan, an Irish officer in the French army, the Rev George Kelly, an Irish Protestant clergyman in the Prince's service and Francis Strickland, an English gentleman from Westmorland. Of these Tullibardine died in captivity, Sheridan, O'Sullivan and Kelly escaped to France, Aeneas MacDonald was banished, Sir John MacDonald surrendered as a prisoner of war and Francis Strickland died at Carlisle.



Information from M Briscoe, 8 November 2013

People and Organisations