Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

External Reference

Date 2010

Event ID 961945

Category Documentary Reference

Type External Reference


Locally known as the Lands of Free house, it is situated overlooking the Free Burn and Tomatin distillery. It is reputedly one of the oldest dwellings in Strathdearn - a laird's house, which has been unaltered since the 1700s. Currently (2010) unoccupied and in need of restoration, it shows signs of damp on the the exterior. Free is Frithe in Gaelic, and means forest, or deer forest, and the land was reputedly a hunting perserve of the Mackintosh of Mackintosh and possibly royalty. It belonged originally to Mackintosh of Holm (Inverness) but was bought by Mr MacBean of Tomatin to add to his moor. Later it was owned by Col. and Mrs Bulloch (1928) and currently owned by Tomatin Distilleries who had tenants in the house until recently. It is a superior house, stone built and slated. The earliest reference she found to it was 1790, from the parish records noting the baptism of an infant living at Free.

Information from Ann Glynne-Percy, compiled as part of the ARCH Community Timelines Course, 2010

People and Organisations