Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

External Reference

Date 2010

Event ID 961869

Category Documentary Reference

Type External Reference


Description in Evanton Oral History Project No. 3 by Adrian Clark: 'Built by United Secession Church in 1824. Capable of holding 400, 170 attended regularly in 1839. The congregation faded away. Miss Cath Munro of Balconie set up a school for girls/young ladies. The Schoolmaster lived above. Kiltearn school used the premises for some years at end of century during re-building. Bought by Free Church as a meeting-place; also used by other groups eg Good Templars, Girl's Club. ... The Council Library was here for a while until it moved to Camden Street. It became derelict and the Ross & Cromarty Heritage Society had plans early 1980s to convert to a museum. They bought it from the Free Church and raised £20,000, but meanwhile the contract price had gone up considerably. The District Council took it on, converted it as 2 houses and put up the Clock on the Tower.' This is also available on-line at

Information from the ARCH Community Timelines Project, 2010

People and Organisations