Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains

Date 28 June 2013

Event ID 961840

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type World War One Audit of Surviving Remains


The Talbot Street drill hall was built in 1887 and appears on the 2nd and 3rd edition OS 1:2500 maps, apparently having been extended on the latter. The hall had an elaborate symmetrical eight-bay, two-storey front block with an elaborate central pediment, surmounted by a fireclay statue of a classical female petting a small dog, identified as Fidelity, now in the collection of Falkirk Museum. The statue is stamped "Grangemouth Coal & Fireclay Co. G B S Rowland". There were urns at the corners.

In 1914 the hall was the drill station for 3 [Gordon Brigade] Company, Highland Division Transport & Supply Column Army Service Corps. The hall became the HQ of the docker's battalion and was demolished in 1994.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 28 June 2013.

People and Organisations