Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date April 1990

Event ID 923319

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/923319

Nothing is visible of the old parish church of Wamphray, which stood in the burial-ground on probably much the same site as the present church (built in 1834). Within the burial-ground there are a number of 18th-century gravestones, and several very fine 19th-century funerary monuments, including the burial-enclosure of Dr John Rogerson (1741-1823), first physician to the emperor of Russia.

Incorporated as a lintel over the W door to the church there is a fragment of an Anglo-Scandinavian cross-shaft. Its provenance is unknown, but it is said to have come from the site of a chapel at Barneygill (NY19NW 9). The front of the slab is divided into two panels by a cable moulding. The left panel is filled with a symmetrical knot formed by the interlacing of four plant scrolls, and that on the right by a backward-biting quadruped. The reverse of the slab is largely obscured, but, from a hand-hole cut through the plaster strapwork to the rear of the lintel, some detail can be tenatatively made out. This side of the slab also appears to have been divided into two frames, and within each there is a quadruped of like form to that on the front, with minor variations in knotwork in the treatment of the limbs. The exposed side of the slab bears three interlace loops with long glides, and is severely weathered.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS, PC), April 1990.

People and Organisations

References