Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Desk Based Assessment

Date 1965

Event ID 921057

Category Recording

Type Desk Based Assessment

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/921057

A Clyde-type, chambered long cairn, wedge-shaped, 95ft (29m) long E-W with, at the E end, an impressive facade, mainly orthostatic, through which the chamber, c. 34 1/2 ft (10.5m) long, was entered and in front of which was a paved forecourt. A kerb consisting of massive blocks, averaging 2 1/2ft (0.7m) high can be traced in stretches. The cairn was severely damaged and robbed for the building of an iron age aisled round-house (NF77SW 24) which was inserted into its W end. The site was excavated by Scott in the 1930s and 1940s; finds from the cairn, now in NMAS, include beaker sherds.

E Beveridge 1911; RCAHMS 1928;W L Scott 1935; 1947; A S Henshall 1972.

People and Organisations

References