Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cavers House

Date 14 June 1990

Event ID 893098

Category Management

Type Site Management


Circa 1500 large 5 storey tower house, probably incorporating part of a 13th century castle. Upper two floors altered in 17th century and the tower enlarged to the North in the mid 18th century to form a classical mansion house with symmetrical 7 bay front to east with a 3 window semi-circular advanced bow at centre.

Substantially re-modelled in the Scottish Baronial style in 1885-7 by Kinnear and Peddie who reduced the projecting bow to 2 storeys and added gabled attics to the Tower and north wing and a large additional wing to the NW. This wing and part of the North wing demolished in 1953 and the house unroofed. Cavers Castle belonged in 12th and 13th centuries to the Baliols. The present tower is presumably that mentioned in the grant to James Douglas in 1511. (Historic Scotland )

People and Organisations