Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Broughty Ferry Railway Station Building

Date 9 June 1990

Event ID 888051

Category Management

Type Site Management

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/888051

Single and 2-storey railway station. Coursers, random rubble, brick, timber, cast-iron, grey slate roofs. S range has 2- and 4-pane sash and case windows with chamfered margins, decorative bargeboards at E and W gables, cut-back eaves at N and S, cast-iron rainwater goods.

The Dundee and Arbroath Railway opened on 6th October 1838. The line drawing in Malcolm shows the gabled station and canopied platform 'in the forties' much as they appear to day. The dated (1886) drawing of the subway shows the new covered bridge but there is no trace of the signal box. The original mechanism of the level crossing gates was installed in 1887 (probably when the signal box was erected), although most of the present mechanism is post-1923). The present gates were renewed in 1972 and are the sole remaining work examples of their type in Scotland, although the gates to the south were destroyed in a locomotive accident on 22 October 1991. The station with its ancillary is listed Category A not least for the impressive survival of the complex. (Historic Scotland)

People and Organisations

References