Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Laser Scanning

Date 2010

Event ID 880514

Category Recording

Type Laser Scanning

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/880514

NH 98425 57665 Situated in the NTS Brodie Estate, Rodney’s

Stone is a Class II Pictish symbol stone, probably carved in

the 8th century. Along three corners runs the longest known

Scottish ogham inscription, extending for over 3m. Reused

as a recumbent grave marker in perhaps the 16th or 17th

century, it was rediscovered in 1781 during the excavation

of foundations for a new parish church in the village of

Dyke. Having been erected in Dyke the following year, it was

subsequently moved to its present position in the 1820s/30s.

Deri Jones Associates undertook a 3-D laser scan of the

entire stone, with further, higher resolution scans of the

ogham text/s and of strategic areas to act as a baseline for

condition monitoring between March–December 2010. Data

processing by Archaeoptics Ltd is ongoing; it is hoped that the

high resolution data will allow a more complete transcription

of the ogham to be created, elucidating some of the more

heavily eroded letters.

Archive: The National Trust Scotland and RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: The National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland,

Hunter Archaeological and Historical Trust

People and Organisations

References