Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 856349

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/856349

NR97SE 24.00 centred 958 706

NR97SE 24.01 Centred NR 9589 7064 Buildings; Stores;

NR97SE 24.02 Centred NR 9582 7057 Buildings; Smithy; Cottages

NR97SE 24.03 Centred NR 9582 7073 Buildings; Cottages; Offices

NR97SE 24.04 Centred NR 9577 7096 Buildings

NR97SE 24.05 Centred NR 9577 7112 Buildings; Gravel Pit; Store

NR97SE 24.06 NR 9582 7093 Tramway

NR97SE 24.07 NR 97416 71413 Works

NR97SE 24.08 NR 97306 71469 Cottage

NR97SE 24.09 NR 9577 7079 Lade

NR97SE 24.10 NR 96285 70934 Powder Magazine

NR97SE 24.11 NR 9583 7071 Weigh House; Post Office

NR97SE 24.12 NR 9582 7073 Cottages

NR97SE 24.13 NR 9575 7062 Cottage

NR97SE 24.14 NR 9577 7060 Building

NR97SE 24.15 NR 9580 7071 Building

NR97SE 24.16 NR 9580 7071 Bell

NR97SE 24.17 Centred NR 9745 7149 Pier

NR97SE 24.18 c.NR 95673 70768 Cannon; Cannon Ball

Marked bricks found on the site include a fireclay 'Caledonia'; Allan & Mann, Govan Patent, Glasgow; Garnkirk; Star Works, J * D, Glenboig; Gartcosh; Walkinshaw, ; Patent, W Wilson, Glasgow. Fragments of others were found notably 'Kelvinside' and 'Reid & Lugton'.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 30 July 1986

The Ordnance Survey Object Name Book describes the Powder Works as 'The Kames Powder Works is situated at Millhouse. It is of considerable extent. It is owned by a Company of which W McCallum of Kames Cottages is working partner. The works are surrounded on tracings (1st edition surey plan) by a yellow band (Name Book 1869). Additionally, the Name Book also describes an old magazine as 'This was originally the magazine to the Powder Works, but is now used as cottages', and the magazine as ' This is the store house for the Powder Works. A large new building surrounded by a high stone wall'. Kames Cottage is described as ' A mansion house belonging to Kames Powder Works Company, the portion of the works situated here is surrounded with a yellow band. The works at this place are chiefly stores for the material of which powder is composed with a good stone pier, the property of the Company' (Name Book 1872).

The powder works are also depicted depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch and 25-inch maps (Argyllshire and Buteshire 1869, sheet cxciii) and annotated as 'Kames Powder Works'.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2007.

People and Organisations

References