Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 841518

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/841518

NS16NW 22.00 11513 68172

NS16NW 22.01 Centred NS 1161 6816 Walled Garden

NS16NW 22.02 NS 1115 6778 South Lodge

NS16NW 22.03 Centred NS 11604 68361 Walled Garden

For predecessor tower-house of Toward Castle (NS 1186 6785), see NS16NW 1.

The Combined Training Centre (CTC Castle Toward) was set up at Castle Toward during WW II. The infantry training centre was at Lochailort whilst Castle Toward trained units of the Royal Engineers, Royal Artilllery, Royal Armoured Corps and other logistical units. The school was mainly to instruct officers and men in the techniques of loading personnel and armoured vehicles including tanks onto all types of landing craft. Additionally, there was instruction in beach landing control along with supply and logistics of an army once ashore. The jetty at Castle Toward was utilised along with an area at Toward Point

Since the 1950s Castle Toward has been used to train young people in adventure training and other educational activities.

After the Battle, May 2003, no.120

People and Organisations

References