Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 823041

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/823041

NJ90SE 20 centred 9565 0339

A heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated some 300m SW of the summit of Tullos Hill. The position consisted of a full battery of eight gun-emplacements, five in the same field as the present Peterseat Cottage (NJ 9572 0341) and three in the field to the NE. The command position was central to the group of five emplacements and the accommodation camp was situated on both sides of a field boundary 150m to the NW. The remains of the battery are visible on aerial photograph (RAF 106G/Scot/UK 131, 4003, flown 1946).

Information from RCAHMS (DE) August 1997

In the course of a general reconnaissance in advance of a prospective archaeological field survey of uncultivated or forest ground in the Aberdeen area, the following upstanding sites are among those which have been reported to the Aberdeen SMR for inclusion therein. Site reports will be lodged with both Aberdeen SMR and the NMRS. Other features include various boundary stones and milestones; railway station platforms and other railway features; clearance cairns; and air-raid shelters.

NJ 9559 0354 Concrete hut base, 10 x 5m.

NJ 9540 0336 Concrete hut bases (2).

D I Harding 1997.

NJ 956 034 An assessment took place in January 2001 of a large area adjacent to Bronze Age Cat Cairn and Baron's Cairn on Tullos Hill (NMRS NJ90SE 20). This area was known to have been the site of one of the WW2 anti-artillery batteries which was later converted into a prisoner-of-war camp. Excavation revealed gun emplacements, the floor of the command post, and large rubbish pits. Memories of battery staff and a former prisoner-of-war have been collected, as well as photographs and letters. A small number of flints were found in the topsoil.

Report to be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Forbes Homes.

A Cameron 2001c.

Most of the remains of this anti-aircraft battery and its camp have been removed, but several concrete platforms indicating the positions of buildings or huts can be seen in the uncultivated ground between Cat Cairn (NJ90SE 5) and Baron's Cairn (NJ90SE 6). Most of the installations lay to the SE of the spine of Tullos Hill, but this was under arable cultivation until recently, and now lies within an industrial estate.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 26 August 2002.

The heavy anti-aircraft battery was provided with a radar guidance installation (GL MkII) and this is visible on the 1946 vertical air photographs (ibid) as an octagonal area with a central concrete platform and ramp. The photographs also show that by this date the guns had been removed.

The battery was designated AB2 by the war office and Public Record Office (PRO) documents show that only four guns were operational in 1942, but by 1943 it had been supplied with an additional four 3.7-inch calibre guns. All guns were static. The battery had been disarmed by December 1945. (AAC/40265/G/Ops; 6AAG/S/2002/7/2/H[Ops]; 8AAG/S4/1/G/98).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), June 2006

People and Organisations

References