Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 805955

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


Leith Hall has been the home of the head of the Leith family since 1650 when the oldest part of the house, the north wing, was built by James Leith of New Leslie on the site of an older property, Peill Castle. Anciently it was defended by a strong wall, having a turret at each angle, enclosing an area of two acres. The south, east and west wings were added in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was presented to the National Trust in 1945.

A L Hay 1849; National Trust for Scotland 1959.


Owner: The National Trust for Scotland

Tenant: The Hon. Mrs Leith-Hay of Rannes

Date: 1650 with 18 & 19c adds

NMRS (Sch. Scott Plans) Survey drawings.

NMRS Print Room

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc no 1997/39

1 exterior view

1 interior 'Picture at Leith Hall signed D Wilkie'

People and Organisations