Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 797284

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/797284

NJ73NW 23 702 357

(Location cited as NJ 7026 3572). Blackford (mentioned in 1654, 1702 and 1723). Site of manor; remains of mansion house. Writing in 1723, William Walker reported that 'Blakfoord is a pretty new house, built after the English modell, anno MDCCXXII...'. It then belonged to Alexander Forbes, whode father had bought the estate of Blackford from his father-in-law, Alexander Gellie, in c. 1702. A possession of the Forbeses until 1851, it appears that during the 16th century and probably earlier, Blackford had belonged to a branch of the garden family.

Early in the 19th century, Alexander Forbes' 'fine new house' seems to have been replaced by a new mansion; unroofed in the 1940's, the central portion of this has since been converted for use as a modern house.

[Additional bibliography cited].

NMRS, MS/712/95.

W Kennedy 1818; J Robertson 1818.

People and Organisations

References