Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 789310

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/789310

NS56NE 1081 56448 66442

Sewage Pumping Station [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1975.

For sewer pipe bridge across the River Kelvin (adjacent to SE), see NS56NE 4873.

Partick Sewage Pumping Station, 35 Dumbarton Road, opened in 1904 by Glasgow Corporation. An ornate Renaissance red sandstone building with a large single-storey engine house which [formerly] contained three inverted vertical triple-expansion pumping engines with plunger pumps. At the rear is a lower single storey boiler house with a water tanbk in the roof, a fine octagonal chimney stalk and four bays of stables. The steam pumps were replaced by electric c. 1960.

J R Hume 1974.

People and Organisations

References