Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 781525

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/781525

NB56SW 19 centred 5240 6480

Annotated as 'Cuig Peghinnean' 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 1), the Object Name Book (OS) describes the township as 'A small village situated in a hollow adjacent to Cnoc Ard. The houses, which are in very bad repair, are built of peat-moss and stone and thatched with straw and heather. The inhabitants derive their chief support from the produce of the land, which is tolerably good'.

Name Book 1852

A township, comprising six roofed buildings, one of which is annotated as a 'Ruin', four partially roofed buildings annotated as 'Ruin', four unroofed buildings and ten enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 1). A head-dyke runs to the NE of this township, the crofting township of Eorrapidh to the NW (NB56NW 9) and the crofting township of Cnoc Ard to the SE (NB56SW 20). The complete head-dyke runs from NB 512 656 to NB 533 641.

A crofting township comprising twenty roofed, four unroofed buildings and the present crofting field-system are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).

Information fom RCAHMS (AKK) 13 March 1997

People and Organisations

References