Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 779234

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/779234

NH30SW 11 33769 03610

Location formerly cited as NH 33766 03612.

Bridge of Oich (disused) [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.

For Aberchalder swing bridge (NH 3384 0352) and (successor) Bridge of Oich (NH 3368 0349), see NH30SW 9 and NH30SW 10 respectively.

For Bridge of Oich Cottage (adjacent to NW), see NH30SW 48.

(Location cited as NH 337 036). Bridge of Oich, built circa 1850, probably by James Dredge. A double cantilever chain suspension bridge of the Dredge type, with coursed bullfaced rubble battered pylons linked by round-headed pedimented arches. Wooden decked bridge. Bridge is now disused (1983). Similar to Dredge bridges [NH64SE 50 and NH64SE 51 ] at Inverness.

SDD List; J R Hume 1977.

This bridge formerly carried a public road over the River Oich at Aberchalder.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 July 1997.

NH 337 035 In advance of refurbishment of this bridge, which is a scheduled ancient monument, the opportunity was taken to examine the original road surface. A single metalled surface of fine gravel was found. It was not clear if this was the original surface or a replacement added before the road and bridge were replaced this century.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

J Wordsworth 1997.

A RCAHMS photographic Survey was undertaken, during March 1999, to record the restored nature of the bridge.

As a Dredge bridge, this bridge should not be described as a suspension bridge, as is the case currently in the NMRS database. Its name should therefore be changed to 'Bridge of Oich', or the Historic Scotland name of 'Old Bridge of Oich'.

The 'Old Bridge of Oich' was replaced or bypassed by the three-arched concrete 'Oich Bridge' (NH30SW 9 and NH30SW 10 ) in 1932, which now carries the A82 trunk road over the River Oich.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), September 1997.

This bridge carries the former line of the A82 (T) public road over the River Oich at the N end of Loch Oich and to the W of the Aberchalder Swing-bridge (NH30SW 9.00). The successor and present Oich Bridge (NH30SW 10) is adjacent to the S.

The location assigned to this record defines the apparent midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NH c. 33754 03625 to NH c. 33785 03594.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 April 2006.

People and Organisations

References