Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 776231

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NJ02NE 21.00 NJ 08135 26224 Farmhouses

NJ02NE 21.01 NJ 0815 2612 Farmsteading

On the date of visit the remains of two farmhouses - a 19th century house and a 17th/18th century house standing immediately to the SE - were visible at Burnside, but neither was recorded in detail. The later house, which measures 9.2m from NW to SE by 6.1m transversely over all, is two storeys in height and built of quarried pink granite with a slate roof. Its main entrance is at the SE end of the SW side and there is external access to the basement by way of a stair on the NE.

The earlier house is ruinous, though standing to gable-height in places. It measures 15m from NE to SW by 7.5m transversely over walls 1m in thickness and standing to gable height. The random rubble walls are bonded with lime mortar and rendered externally with lime harling. There is a central entrance and flanking windows in the SE side and the square entrance porch is entered from the SW. There are further windows in the NW side and the SW gable. The interior contains three rooms on its ground floor and is subdivided by stone partition walls. A mound of rubble immediately E of this building probably represents the demolished remains of a building that is depicted roofed here on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874 sheet xxxv).

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 24 October 2006.

The earlier of the two farmhouses at Burnside has been demolished.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 08 March 2007.

People and Organisations