Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 771377

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/771377

NT37SW 155 33899 72244.

See Architecture. Photographed 1987.

(Location cited as NT 339 723 and name as Esk Net Mills). Built from 1867 for W and S Stuart, this extraordinary complex originally consisted of a 4-storey, 10- by 10-bay spinning and doubling mill, with harled back and sides, and an 8-bay classical facade, with pilasters through the first and second floors supporting statuary at third-floor level, and single-storey doubling and net-making sheds round a rectangular courtyard. The spinning mill has a tall 3-bay engine house, a small brick clock tower with a cast-iron crown, and an ornate cast-iron fire escape. The single-storey ranges are rubble-built, with round-headed windows and dentilated cornices. The packing block, opposite the main range, has a fine Greek doorway. Later additions include a small single-storey Greek office building, and the inspection block, with a frontage of massive cast-iron columns supporting arched girders, terminating at the rear in a circular turret with an ogival roof.

J R Hume 1976.

People and Organisations

References