Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 767477

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/767477

NT17SE 62.00 17399 74698

Cammo [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1989.

For North Lodge and gatepiers (NT 1709 7522), see NT17NE 121.

For associated Grotto Bridge (NT 17091 75221), see NT17NE 171.

For standing stone at NT 17477 74681 (within Cammo House policies), see NT17SE 55.

NT17SE 62.01 centred NT 174 747 Garden

NT17SE 62.02 NT 17348 74416 Walled Garden with Gate-piers, Outbuildings and Bee Boles

NT17SE 62.03 NT 17496 74393 Stables

NT17SE 62.04 NT 17353 74714 Sundial

NT17SE 62.05 NT 1727 7456 to 1739 7463 Canal

NT17SE 62.06 NT 17587 74251 Water Tower (Water House)

NT17SE 62.07 NT 17705 74914 Home Farm

NT17SE 62.08 NT 17746 74851 East Lodge

NT17SE 62.09 NT 17594 74127 Knoll

NT17SE 62.10 NT 17775 74858 Bridge

NT17SE 62.11 NT 17762 74850 Rubble Bridge

NT17SE 62.12 NT 17753 74844 Gate-Piers with Railings and Boundary Wall (East Lodge)

NT17SE 62.13 NT 1752 7439 Stables

Cammo, Cammo Walk. A collection of fragments. The house was built by John Menzies in 1693 and the park laid out by Sir John Clerk in 1710-26; the estate passed in 1741 to the Watsons of Saughton and in 1980 to the National Trust for Scotland. It is managed in association with the City of Edinburgh.

Approach from the N across a single-span bridge (NT17NE 121), dated 1762 and with stepped finials on the piers; there are the remains of an earlier bridge beside it. Gate-piers with fluted friezes and a roofless lodge dated 1789 with rosettes on the door piece.

Only the lower parts of the house walls survive. Artisan mannerist doorpiece, the pediment broken by a coat of arms, very much in the manner of Robert Mylne.

Canal (NT17SE 62.05) on the S. U-plan stables (NT17SE 62.04), dated 1811; semi-elliptical blind fanlights over the doors and an octagonal centre tower.

Outside the park, round early 19th century watertower (NY17SE 62.06) with a battlemented parapet.

Gifford, J, Mc William, C and Walker, D 1984.

People and Organisations

References