Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 740858

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/740858

NH62NW 32 6075 2730

This farmstead, which occupies a terrace on the S side of Loch Ruthven, comprises two buildings disposed around the sides of an enclosure, both of which are depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xxx), and are described in the Name Book as a 'small farmhouse one storey high, having outbuildings attached, all being thatched' (ONB 1875).

The main building, in which cruck-slots are visible in the side walls, measures 12.65m from NNE to SSW by 3.95m transversely within faced-rubble walls 0.9m in thickness and up to 0.5m in height with a widened entrance on the ESE and an extension to the NNE which measures 9.8m in length with an outshot beyond.

The second bulding, which lies at right angles to the first, has opposed entrances and may have been a barn; it measures 11.8m by 3.65m within faced-rubble walls which measures 0.75m in thickness and up to 0.6m in height, and its ESE end is set into the slope of the ground.

(USN93 65-6)

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD), 1 March 1993.

People and Organisations

References