Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 731784

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


This site was recorded as part of the LBRP for 2002-03. This purpose-built theatre, probably the oldest surviving example of its kind in Scotland, was built in 1790-2 to the design of Thomas Boyd of Dumfries (c.1753-1822). It was opened 29 September 1792. It has undergone various changes of use and alterations, including a partial remodelling by C J Phipps of London in 1876 and renovation c. 1960 under the direction of Colin Morton of Dumfries following a fire.

The building is rectangular on plan with its main entrance to the west. Originally, the entrance was protected by 3-bay portico set below a gable. The alterations carried out under the direction of C J Phipps included the excavation of a new auditorium, the removal of the portico and the addition of a two-storey entrance bay which enclosed a vestibule and access stairs. The elaborate iron balustrade which encloses the balcony was part of the Phipps reworking but has been subsequently been straightened and re-used. Some decorative alterations, including the plasterwork of the main ceiling, were made as part of the renovations of c.1960.

Additional historical information on the origination of the building, including its original dimensions, is contained in a contract dated 1792 (copy held in RCAHMS files).

Information from RCAHMS

(NMC) 7.01.03

People and Organisations