Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 721331

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NX05NE 26 c. 06 57.

Mitchell (1873) quotes notes made by W Todd, an old schoolmaster from the parish of Kirkmaiden, which record the removal of a circle of six large stones from the farm of Balmennoch between 1760 and 1770. The stones were removed to provide building stone for the farmhouse at Little Lochans.

About 1792 Balmennoch was spilt into two farms, Mount Pleasant and Meikle Lochans. The former (NX 065 571) is situated on or close to the site of Mid Balminnoch (Thomson 1826). Ainslie (1782) also depicts the farm of South Balminnoch, which lay in the vicinity of the modern village of Lochans, and may have been the farm of Ballmeanoch shown by Roy (1747-55).

J Murray 1981; RCAHMS 1985

People and Organisations