Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 719143

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/719143

NT57SW 5 52101 73942

(NT 5210 7394) St Martin's Church (NR) (rems of)

OS 6" map, (1969).

St Martin's Church, originally a chapel belonging to St Mary's Nunnery (NT57SW 10) was a small, rectangular structure comprising nave and chancel, of which the roofless nave is the only structure that remains. However, excavations a few years before 1896 revealed the foundations of the chancel; these were not found during DoE excavations in 1912. It was built in the early 12th century, and was altered in the 13th century when a structure was vaulted and buttresses added. In the 17th century, it became a Protestant place of worship but was ultimately allowed to decay. The structure had been thoroughly repaired by the DoE.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1912; W D Simpson and S Piggott 1970; SBS Haddington 1977.

People and Organisations

References