Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 707845

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/707845

NS97NE 61 98160 76951

NMRS REFERENCE:

Engineer: John Miller (1838).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

The Avon Viaduct which spans the valley of the Avon between Linlithgow and Manuel Stations, is an original feature of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway opened in 1842. It is 442yds long and consists of a main arcade of twenty segmental arches each with a span of 50ft, with a subsidiary one containing three arches of 20ft span which rise from the sloping end of the E abutment. The river runs under the fourth and fifth arches from the E end of the main arcade, the springing-line being 66ft, the underside of the arches 82ft and the top of the masonry 92ft above the water level. The masonry of the piers is block-in-course, and they measure 28ft by 7ft above the intake that occurs just above the ground at the W end and is repeated throughout the arcade at the same level; the ends of the main arcade are emphasised by shallow buttresses applied to the westernmost pier and to the junction between the easternmost pier and the adjoining 20ft arch. The piers have plain capitals, and a string-course runs from end to end at the wall-head; above this rises the brickwork that retains the road-bed and a heavy iron railing.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 6 March 1953.

This lengthy and impressive viaduct caries the main ('Direct') railway line between Edinburgh and Glasgow (Queen St station) over the River Avon, which here defines the boundary between the parishes of Muiravonside (to the W) and Linlithgow (to the E). It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

The cited location refers to the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NS c. 97980 76989 to NS c. 98324 76918.

Information from RCAHMS (KD), September 2002.

People and Organisations

References