Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 706822

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/706822

NJ90NW 176 94409 06519.

Aberdeen Arts Centre, formerly North Church, built 1829-30, architect John Smith.

W A Brogden 1988.

Church completed in 1830 by John Smith in the Neo-Greek style with rectangular giant order, 4-column Ionic portico and a square tower with the Tower of Winds at the top stage. The bays are set off by pilasters, the segmented windows within being set further back. The exterior is protected against change but internally any resemblance to the original has disappeared although some of Smith's interior (the vestibule and stairs) survives.

(Additional bibliography and newspaper referencec cited).

NMRS, MS/712/83.

People and Organisations

References