Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 703128

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS56NE 76.01 5919 6551 Low Level Station

NS56NE 76.02 5915 6549 Church; Offices ('Wardlaw's Kirk')

NS56NE 76.03 5929 6560 Grain Store

NS56NE 76.04 5924 6547 Cancelled: see NS56NE 693.

NS56NE 76.05 59231 65634 Glasgow, Queen Street Station, Bridge

NS56NE 76.06 5918 6548 Left Luggage Office

For (Cowlairs Incline) approach (including tunnel), see NS56NE 1866.00.

Opened 21 February 1842 by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Rly. Nothing remains of the original station, although the offices at the corner of West George St and Dundas St were formerly a church ('Wardlaw's Kirk'), built 1819 as West George St Independent Church to designs by J Gillespie Grham, Edinburgh. This has a Doric terastyle portico at first floor level.

The Dundas St entrance, which was demolished in 1968, was constructed in 1855-6, and had a frontage with five arches (three large ones flanked by single smaller ones), a heavy cornice and a five-section balustrade. The roof was supported in the centre by a single cast-iron column, and consisted of a cast-iron frame braced with light wrought-iron tie rods and covered with wood and slates. Originally, the tunnel mouth was on the S side of Cathedral St, but when the station was extended in the 1870's, the area to the N of Cathedral St was opened up, and the station boundary moved E to North Hanover St.

The present wrought-iron arched roof was completed in 1880 by P and W MacLellan to designs by James Carsewell. It is carried on fine cast-iron Corinthian columns.

At the corner of North Hanover St and Cathedral St, a seven-storey grain store on an L-plan was built in 1878 to designs by the North British Rly Engineer's Office in Glasgow (?10,500). Built of ashlar, with classical four-storey facades to the streets, the interior had cast-iron columns supporting wooden beams and floors. The building was demolished in 1966-7, but portions of the walls still stand.

J R Hume 1974.

(Location cited as NS 592 655). Queen Street Station, North Queen Street, opened 1842 by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Rly. The fine wrought-iron arched roof is carried on cast-iron Corinthian columns and was built in 1878-80 by engineer James Carsewell. The rest of the station has recently been rebuilt.

The two bridges spanning the cutting beyond the station are worth noting as is the tunnel (1842) leading to Cowlairs. Underneath the main-line station is the much-modernised low-level station (1960).

J R Hume 1976.

Queen Street Station, in Glasgow, was the western terminus of the North British Rly and its parent company; a steep tunnelled approach and a fine overall arched roof are its most ditinguished features. The roof, which was designed by James Carswell, was built between 1878 and 1880, and now, following the demolition of St Enoch Station (NS56SE 69.00), remains the last of its size and type in Scotland.

G D Hay and G P Stell 1986.

Queen Street Station, West George Street. The High Level station opened as the W terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Rly in 1842; nothing remains of the original station. The grim offices of 1968-9 on West George Street screen a fine iron arched roof, 1878-80, by James Carsewell. The car park has replaced the former goods station.

The Low Level station serves the N bank suburban lines of the former Glasgow and District Rly (electrified in 1959-60).

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

Glasgow, Queen Street (High Level) station was opened by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Rly. (which was subsequently absorbed into the North British Rly.) on 21 Feby 1842.

R V J Butt 1995.

This station remains in regular use by passenger traffic. It forms the western terminus of the 'direct' (ex-North British Rly.) Edinburgh-Glasgow main line, and is also the Glasgow terminus for services to Aberdeen, Inverness and the West Highlands.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 19 August 1997.

People and Organisations