Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 699625

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/699625

HP61NW 5 60666 19679

Lighthouse [NAT]

Mast (to N, at HP 6066 1971)

Mast (to S, at HP 6063 1967)

OS (GIS) AIB, May 2006.

For associated shore station at Burrafirth, Unst (centred HP 6134 1487), see HP61SW 39.

(Location cited as HP 606 197). North Unst Lighthouse, built 1852 by engineers D and T Stevenson. A short circular tower, with rounded flat-roofed ancillary buildings, on a barren rock.

J R Hume 1977.

Name: Muckle Flugga (1854-8)

Location: N60 51 W0 53 North Sea, 1 mile N of Unst

Designed: David and Thomas Stevenson

Built: David and Thomas Stevenson, and Alan Brebner

Light first exhibited: 11 October 1854

Description: circular brick tower, painted white

Height of light above MHW: 217ft (66m)

Height of tower: 64ft (20m)

Light source and characteristics: W Gp Fl (2) ev 20 secs. 250W metal halide lamp: 281,000 cp: 22nm nominal range

Fog warning apparatus: None

Manning: unwatched (automatic since 20 March 1995), monitored from Northern Lighthouse Board HQ, Edinburgh

Temporary light operational in 1854 until permanent tower completed in 1858. The most northerly lighthouse in the British Isles

C Nicholson 1995.

This lighthouse was built in a near-inaccessible situation (on the 200ft [61m] high 'Great Precipice') on account of increased shipping around Shetland during the Crimean War. Construction started in July 1846, a temporary light being established on 11 October 1846; this was 22ft [6.7m] high with a cast iron lantern and temporary accommodation.

Following much discussion between the Northern Lighthouse Board and the Board of Trade, a proposal for a permanent lighthouse was approved in June 1855.

The tower was constructed by D and T Stevenson, over a hundred people working on site between April and November 1856. Brick construction was used for ease of transport, and the 64ft [19.5m] high tower was sunk into foundations sunk 10ft [3m] into rock. The light entered service on 1 January 1858, having cost £32,.000; it was automated in 1995.

S Krauskopf 2003.

People and Organisations

References