Archaeology Notes
Event ID 692139
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Archaeology Notes
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/692139
NO19SE 7 18550 91064
Invercauld Bridge [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.
For (predecessor) Bridge of Dee (NO 1862 9093), see NO19SE 8.
For tollhouse ('lodge') at N end of bridge, see NO19SE 10.
(Location cited as NO 185 911). Invercauld Bridge. Built 1859 at the expense of the Prince Consort. A handsome rustic ashlar bridge, with three main segmental arches and a smaller arch at each end. There are rounded cutwaters, and occuli in the spandrels between the main spans.
J R Hume 1977.
New Invercauld Bridge was commissioned by Prince Albert in 1859, when the old bridge (NO19SE 8) was taken out of service. It has three main spans with oculi in the spandrels. The name of its engineer is unknown, but William Smith, the architect of Balmoral, may have been retained for this bridge also.
G Nelson 1990.
Invercauld Bridge was built by J F Beattie at the expense of Prince Albert, who closed the old South Desside Commutation Raod between here and Balmoral in order to protect his privacy.
J Geddes 2001.
This bridge carries the present course of the A93 public road over the River Dee.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 August 1997.
Built c. 1850. Granite bridge with 3 wide segmental arches with smaller arch at each end.
This site was recorded as part of the Listed Buildings Recording Programme (LBRP) for 2001-02.
Information from RCAHMS (NMC), 2002.