Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Desk Based Assessment

Date 1958

Event ID 691100

Category Recording

Type Desk Based Assessment

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/691100

NO64SW 3.00 63842 42912

NO64SW 3.37 63842 42936 Churchyard Walls

NO64SW 3.01 to NO64SW 3.30 NO 6383 4294 Pictish Cross-Slab; Pictish Symbol Stone; Cross-Slab; Sculptured Stones.

NO64SW 3.38 Cross-slab (possible)

(NO 6384 4291) Ch (NAT) Sculptured Stones found 1871 and 1888 (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1975)

St Vigean's Church occupies nearly the whole of the summit of a regularly shaped mound which has been the site of a religious settlement from a very remote period. This is shown by several Norman wrought stones that have been found on the site as well as a large and most important group of elaborately carved sculptured stones, relics of the Celtic church which once stood here. Vigianus has been recognised as the Latinised form of the name of St Fechin of Fohbar, an Irish saint who died in 664.

Previous to a restoration in 1871, the church consisted of a central nave of eight bays, with north and south aisles and a western tower. The original Norman church appears to have occupied the site of the north aisle and to have extended in width to about the centre of the present nave. Parts of the east and west gable walls still remain. At a later period, probably about the middle of the 15th century, the church was extended to the south and was converted into a building with a nave and a north aisle; and again at a still later period, in 1485, the south wall was taken down and a south aisle erected.

In 1871 considerable additions were made including a large apse, a second north aisle and the raising of the tower. The church was consecrated in 1242 by Bishop de Bernham and reconsecrated after the 1485 additions.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897

Information from OS Index Card, c. 1958.

Source: D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897

People and Organisations

References