Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 688763

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/688763

NMRS REFERENCE:

Edinburgh, Morningside Hydropathic Hotel was demolished c.1900. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

ARCHITECT: George Beattie & Son 1879 (W H Beattie)

Morningside Hydropathic closed in 1882, possibly never having opened as such. The building was occupied by Morningside College or Academy for Boys from 1882 to 1889, when the school moved to Rockville in Napier Road (NT27SW 2918), and then to Falcon Hall (NT27SW 1560). The Edinburgh Sick Children's Hospital was transferred to Morningside College in 1890, when it was renamed as Plewlands House (Bibl. Smith, Charles J, Morningside, 1992)

(AC 19 February 2002.)

People and Organisations

References