Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 688156

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NN76NW 9 71411 65622

Errochty Dam [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1974.

For (associated) Errochty Reservoir (Loch Errochty), see NN66NE 8.

For (associated) Errochty Power Station (NN 7727 5929), see NN75NE 79.

For (associated) Errochty Switching Station (centred NN 7695 5909), see NN75NE 80.

Loch Errochty Dam, 1955, North of Scotland Hydro-Electricity Board. Spectacular diamond-headed buttress structure, 354m long and 49m high, built across the River Errochty to form the man-made reservoir of Loch Errochty (NN66NE 8). Water is fed to the loch from the River Garry and its upper tributaries by 19km of tunnels; a further 9.6km tunnel supplies the Errochty Power Station (NN75NE 9).

N Haynes 2000.

(Name cited as Trinafour, and date as 1957). This diamond-headed buttress dam was built at the E end of Loch Errochty as part of the enlarged [2nd] phase of the Tummel catchment area scheme; there was a tunnel from this dam to Loch Tummel via the Errochty power station. The contractors were A and M Carmichael Ltd.

The average annual output of the Errochty scheme is 100 million units.

J Miller 2002.

This structure dams the E end of the Errochty Reservoir (NN66NE 8) and forms part of the Tummel Hydro-Electric Scheme. It falls entirely within the parish of Blair Atholl.

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NN c. 71335 65402 to NS c. 71487 65752.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 December 2005.

People and Organisations