Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 686616

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/686616

NO24SE 25 2872 4455.

For Pictish symbol stones, cross-slabs, sculptured stones and objects of similar type held in Meigle Museum, see sub-numbers NO24SE 25.01-25.33.

NO24SE 25.01 Pictish Cross-slab; Cup-and-ring Markings

NO24SE 25.02 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.03 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.04 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.05 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.06 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.07 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.08 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.09 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.10 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.11 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.12 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.13 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.14 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.15 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.16 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.17 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.18 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.19 Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.20 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.21 Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.22 Pictish Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.23 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.24 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.25 Hogback Stone

NO24SE 25.26 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.27 Pictish Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.28 Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.29 Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.30 Sculptured Stone

NO24SE 25.31 Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.32 Cross-slab

NO24SE 25.33 Sculptured Stone

'Old schoolroom, Tudor, c.1845 containing collection of early sculptured monuments'.

SDD List, 1962.

(Area: NO 2872 4459). A collection of about 26 symbol-bearing slabs and sculptured stones known as the "Meigle Stones" is preserved in the old school-house (NO 2872 4455), adjoining the churchyard, which has been converted into a museum.

They were found during the latter half of the 19th.c in the church, churchyard and the immediate vicinity outside.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; S Cruden 1964

Museum visited. No additional finds or information.

NO24SE 25.10, NO24SE 13, NO24SE 14, NO24SE 16 -19 & 24 are not in the Museum.

The sculptured stones displayed in Meigle Museum, the former school-house of the village, form one of the most important collections of Pictish sculpture in Eastern Scotland; all were found in or near the parish church of Meigle (NO24SE 33.00). Before being placed in the museum at the end of the nineteenth century, several stood in the burial-ground, although it is not certain that they were, even then, in their original positions. Several others stood in a group on a mound a little to the N of the church, a location that caused some antiquarian speculation (for which, see NO24SE 33.00). Some were built into the walls of the church and the burial-ground, several being broken up to form manageable building-blocks in the process. The church was, however, destroyed by fire in 1869; some sculptured stones were discovered in the course of salvage and rebuilding operations, but others appear to have been lost in the conflagration. In 1858 a malt-kiln at Templehall (NO 2874 4467), a property some 70m N of the church, was demolished, and carved stones were found to have been employed in the construction of the kiln. The assemblage caught the attention of antiquaries such as Pennant, and the stones were subsequently studied in detail by Chalmers and Stuart; in several cases, their illustrations form the only record of stones that have subsequently been lost or destroyed. The major catalogue of Early Christian monuments in Scotland, that published by Allen and Anderson in 1903, lists the stones in two groups, Class II and Class III; the catalogue numbers allotted by Allen and Anderson are followed in this account. The monuments are all of sandstone, the majority of Old Red Sandstone, but detailed petrological definition is not possible without thin-sectioning. Most of the carving is in low relief, often within a raised border or frame, and comments on technique are reserved for the use of incision or unusually high relief.

Information from RCAHMS (JNGR) 1990.

T Pennant 1776; P Chalmers 1948; J Stuart 1856; J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Nine class II symbol stones.

Meigle 1:A cross is on the face.On the reverse arranged vertically is a salmon,a deer's head and an elephant,a serpent and Z-rod and a mirror and comb.Below the symbols is a hunting scene with five mounted figures,one female,and a hound.

Meigle 3 Double-disc on the cross face.On the reverse is a mounted figure.

Meigle 4:Cross face has an unmounted figure with a horse.On the reverse is a mounted figure over an elephant above a crescent and V-rod

Meigle 5:Cross on the face with a mounted figure on the reverse.On one side of the stone are a mirror-case above an elephant.

Meigle 6:Cross shaft on the face with on the reverse a mounted figure over a double-disc above a crescent.

Meigle 7:Double-disc and Z-rod and a comb on the reverse.

A.Mack 1997 pp.51-53

People and Organisations

References