Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 682243

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/682243

NO12SW 149 12123 23885

Perth Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1994.

Location also formerly entered as NO 12118 23883 and as NO 1200 2385 to NO 1223 2392.

Not to be confused with Queen's Bridge (NO 1211 2343), for which see NO12SW 264.

For (adjacent and associated) Gowrie St (Kinnoull), Old Toll House (NO 1224 2391), see NO12SW 564.

For (predecessor) Stanners Island Bridge (NO 1213 2372), see NO12SW 77.

(Location cited as NO 121 239). Smeaton's Bridge, Built 1766 -1772 by engineer John Smeaton. A nine-span bridge with dressed-stone arch rings and rubble spandrels, pierced by circular flood-relief holes (now blocked). The segmental arches increase in size to the centre. The most northerly arch is a small semicircular one. Cast-iron footpaths were bracketted out on both sides en 1869 by engineer A D Stewart.

J R Hume 1977.

This bridge carries the A85 public road over the River Tay between Perth (to the W) and Bridgend (to the E), and to the N (upstream) of Stanners Island (The Stanners). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Perth (to the W) and Kinnoull (to the E).

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NO c. 12023 23854 to NO c. 12225 23917.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 31 May 2006.

(Former index no. 3946). Descheduled.

Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 31 March 2011.

People and Organisations

References