Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 663986

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/663986

NH82NW 28 80720 28819

Findhorn Viaduct [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.

Not to be confused with Tomatin Viaduct (NH 802 290) or Forres, Findhorn Viaduct (NJ 0207 5868), for which see NH82NW 30 and NJ05NW 102 respectively.

For corresponding road bridge (downstream, to NE), see NH82NW 33.

Location formerly entered as NH 80547 28943 to NH 80836 28683.

Opened to traffic 19.7.1897.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NH 806 288). Findhorn Viaduct, Tomatin: opened in 1897 by the Highland Rly. A 9-span structure with steel trusses supported on slender masonry piers, 1335 ft (407m) long.

J R Hume 1977.

Findhorn viaduct, by John Fowler and Murdoch Paterson, 1894-7. The curved railway viaduct is over 400m long, and stands 43m above the river. Nine spans of steel lattice girders on tapering stone piers.

J Gifford 1992.

This viaduct was designed by Murdoch Paterson to carry the (Aviemore-Carr Bridge-Inverness) Direct Line of the Highland Rly across the River Findhorn. It opened on 19 July 1897, and remains in use.

M Smith 1994.

This viaduct carries the Aviemore-Inverness 'direct' main line of the former Highland Rly over Strathdearn and the River Findhorn to the SE of Tomatin. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure; the river crosses under the viaduct some distance to the NW of this. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NH c. 80546 28945 to NH c. 80838 28682.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 March 2006.

People and Organisations

References