Archaeology Notes
Event ID 661290
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Archaeology Notes
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/661290
NH66NE 27 65996 69399
Sta [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.
For footbridge (immediately to W), see NH66NE 123.
Location formerly cited as NH 6599 6941.
Buildings similar to Fearn Station (NH87NW 6).
J R Hume 1977.
A long, single storey rubble built structure with a substantial two-storey main structure built into the centre.At the rear of the station an awning is supported by ornamental cast-iron pillars. Of note is the ornamental wrought-iron decor at the eaves of the building. Opened 1863, closed 1960
Information from RCAHMS (SC) 23 July 1999
J R Hume 1977.
This intermediate station on the Inverness - Georgemas Junction - Wick and Thurso ('Far North') main line of the former Highland Rly. was opened by the Inveness and Aberdeen Junction (Inverness and Ross-shire) Rly on 23 May 1863. It was closed to regular passenger traffic on 13 June 1960, but reopened on 7 May 1973 and remains in use, although the original three platforms have ben reduced to one.
Williams notes the original stone building (probably designed by Alexander Ross of Inverness) as being boarded up with corrugated iron.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 June 2001.
B Williams 1988.