Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 652535

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/652535

NT47NE 63 4735 7745 to 4704 7852

The remains of the branch line to Gullane are visible on aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 1976, 1981 & 1994) as a low embankment running N-S, some 200m W of Ballencrieff Mains farm. Passenger services were withdrawn by LNER on 12 September 1932. A freight service continued until 15 June 1964, and the line was finally closed on 9 November 1964.

Information from RCAHMS (GJW) 22 December, 1997.

The disused Gullane branch line is visible as a track approximately 120m W of Ballencrieff Mains Silos. It is recorded on aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 1994), and is depicted as a track on the current edition of the OS map (1990). The branch line is fully depicted on the second edition OS 6-inch map (Haddingtonshire, 1907, sheet iv.12).

To the SW of the railway line at NT 470 780 is the cropmark of an enclosure and settlement (NT47NE 23). The linear cropmark which curves through this site has the appearance of a possible tramway or trackway leading to a disused kiln at NT 465 784 and ends at the junction with the branch line, now an area of trees in the SE corner of the field.

The small rectangular patch of uncultivated land (RCAHMSAP 1976), S of Six Acre Wood, may be rough ground associated with the ruins and Ballincrieff Old Mill depicted at NT c.468 781 on the 1st edition OS 6-inch map (Haddingtonshire, 1854, sheet iv).

Information from RCAHMS (JH) 15 May 1998.

People and Organisations

References