Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 648935

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/648935

ND34SW 193 32906 44395

The remains of this cottage are situated in a poorly-drained area of rough pasture about 330m SW of the steading at Mill Farm. Subrectangular on plan, the cottage measures 10.7m from NNE to SSW by about 5.4m transversely over walls that have been reduced to grass-grown stony banks up to 1.2m in thickness and 0.2m in height. There is an entrance in the middle of the ESE side, and what may be an outshot, reduced to little more than a spread of stone, is attached to the SSW end. A small garden enclosed by a ruined wall lies immediately to the E of the cottage. The cottage is depicted roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxix), but is not shown on the 2nd edition of the map (1907, sheet xxix).

(YARROWS04 621)

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 11 August 2004

People and Organisations

References